New to the conversation? Check out my greatest hits!

7/29/10

Gimmicks

When I was an (unoffical) teacher's aide working at a technical school for music for a summer, I only remember meeting one guy there. He was nice enough, but I couldn't really take him seriously after hearing about his "big idea"!

His whole band played miniature instruments.

Making yourself easier to talk about is fantastic, there's nothing wrong with wanting to increase the velocity of your word of mouth. But don't forget that the medium is a part of the message. Are "tiny instruments" the hallmark of a breakout success band or a cover band at a bar and grill? It all depends what the band's goal is.  I know I wouldn't take their music seriously, but if they were in the background at my pub I'd be OK with listening to them.

Message.

If it contributes more to your art than it distracts, it's art.
If it distracts more than it contributes, it's a gimmick.
Where that line is, however, is the audience's decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment