New to the conversation? Check out my greatest hits!

5/18/10

Music Lessons Make You Smarter

Once again, an amazing post by Eric. More info at Newsweek and in the book This Is Your Brain on Music.

Music really is awesome for you. Let's take a look at everything music does
-Childhood musical training creates a sustained increase in IQ.
-Musical training improves math skills
-Musicians have a 10-15% larger corpus callosum, the brain structure connecting the left & right hemispheres

However, it has yet to improve musicians' ability to arrive on time. Bummer.

2 comments:

  1. This is Your Brain on Music was a well written and strangely accessible book. It was written in a way that even an engineer (myself) with no musical training could pull out useful nuggets of information from it. Levitin seems like one smart dude.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard soooo much about that book but it's still sitting on my amazon wishlist. I'll have to give it a read!

    ReplyDelete